Garage doors are integral to modern homes. No modern home is complete without a state of the art garage door waiting to open as soon as you park your car. Whether you have belt type garage doors or chain type garage doors, both require professional help for garage door installation.
As an individual, there are many precautions you can take. Garage doors contain complex parts such as torsion spring and electric components that must not be fiddled with. These garage door repairs require you to call professionals. Here are 5 basic tips that you as a homemaker can do to ensure your garage doors remain in pristine condition.
1. Inspect the metal tracks: One of the most common ailments during garage door repairs is the improperly installed tracks. This may happen during initial installation or due to regular use. while checking the metal tracks, ensure that track surface is even and uniform. If you find any odd dents, bumps and crevices; hammer them out with soft blows. Straighten out the inner surface of the tracks to minimize the damages caused due to rough usage. Make sure you do not hit the sidewalls of the garage doors metal tracks in this process.
2. Cleaning the tracks during garage door repair: After track inspection, you should clean the metal tracks using a soft cloth. Remove all the dust, minute debris and loose particles. Do not use sand paper for cleaning as this can cause abrasion on the track surface. Such garage door repair can lead to screeching noise during normal operation.
3. Check track alignment: If garage door installation is not done properly, the metal track alignment. This can cause garage doors to malfunction. In fact, this is the most common reason behind jammed garage doors. While undertaking this garage door repair, you can avoid loosening all the bolts and screws. Simply hammer out / tap the track. Set the track in alignment using a scale. This simple garage door repair can save you hundreds of dollars in professional repair bills.
4. Lubrication: The oil in the metal tracks dries up after some usage . This causes wear and tear of the garage doors. Use a high quality oil to lightly lubricate the track along its entire length. Do not over do oiling as this can cause slippery in the garage leading to further accidents.
5. Dont’s of garage door repair: While repairing you should not handle electrical components. The torsion springs and high voltage parts can cause serious injury. Do not fiddle with complex features offered in modern digital garage doors. Keep the settings as recommended by company professionals. Also, do not use high stairs as garage doors have moving parts and cause you to slip.
These simple precautionary steps make sure your garage door perform flawlessly every day. For any other complex problem, it is recommended that you call for professional help. Experts have years of experience in garage door installation and garage door repair. Avail their services and experience peace of mind.