Before you step into the local store to buy garage door openers, you will be surprised to know the options you have to face. There will be aisles and aisles of garage door openers. Even if you are there regarding garage door repair and looking for replacement, the model you are looking for is most likely being updated. So, here’s a quintessential guide for buying garage door openers.
1. Measure the door height: Know you requirements before making the purchase. Normal garages open up to 7 feet high. In special cases, users prefer up to 10 feet of opening. In such cases, garage door openers have to be complemented with extensions in order to perform well. So, measure the required height and proceed accordingly.
2. H.P. Rating Selection: Garage door openers are specified in terms of Horse power. Normal options include a 1/2 H.P. or 3/4 H.P. openers. In most homes, a single car aluminum garage door can be opened using an 1/2 H.P. motor. Industrial uses required higher H.P. motor.
3. Type of Garage Door Opener: Here you are presented with 3 universal options:
- Chain Drive
- Belt Drive
- Screw Drive
All three options can be chosen as per your requirements. Chain driven models can be noisy but are relatively cheap. On the other hand, screw-drive models are expensive but have the least moving parts. They are also powerful and substantially less noisy. A professional will guide you about the technical differences among the three and recommend accordingly.
4. Remote and Programming Selection: Myriad options here in the remote section. The most primitive and simple remote: single button. It opens one door and is attached to your car keys. Then things get serious in garage door openers. Modern wireless remotes contain many options such as audio controls, degree of tilt, home lighting functions etc. High end remotes offer finger-print scanning and recognition for better security. Door monitors can be used to locate children during parking and avoid accidents.
5. Professional Installation: Whether it is garage door repairs or new installation, it is recommended to consult a professional. Garage doors are complex mechanical systems that can be dangerous. Professionals are adept in selecting, installing and garage door repairs. Typical garage door can be installed within 4-5 hours and repaired within 2-3 hours. Professionals will also provide tips on how to maintain your garage door openers on a regular basis.