When you are undertaking garage door repair, there are many things you have to consider. Most importantly, choose the do-it-yourself way only if you have understood the basics. If you do not understand the tools and mechanisms involved, you will do more harm than good. So, if you are going to do this, here are some tips to help you out.
- Instruction Manual – Like every product, garage doors come with an instruction manual. These are detailed handbooks that will reveal all that is there to know about the garage door repair. Read it up thoroughly before you pick up the tools. It will guide you and help you in the entire process and also tell you minute details that no one will tell. If you have lost your instruction manual, most of the companies have digital copies online. Grab your online.
- Visual Inspection – This consists of visually inspecting all the major components such as pulleys, spring, rollers, cables etc and notice any deformation. Actually, this is the most important phase and guide your remaining repair. Look for any signs of wear and tear on the tracks and cables. Any protrusion on the metal tracks or wearing down cable can cause fatal injury. If you notice anything more serious like electrical default, call garage door repair professionals. don’t try to fix these issues yourself.
- Minor Repairs – There are minor garage door repair issues that you can definitely solve yourself. Simply hammer out the deformities gently and keep the metal tracks well lubricated. Clean out the dust settled on the cables and check the moving parts adjacent to the tracks. Use high-quality oil to lubricate and soft cloth to clean the panels. Light sandpaper can be used to rub out the deformities.
- Children Are Forbidden – When you are working on the garage door repair, make sure children are not nearby. Some garage door parts such as springs, panels and cables can cause serious injury to the kids. It is best that you forbid them to enter the garage door during the repair process.
- Electrical Repairs – When you undertake electrical repairs or garage door remote repair, make sure the connections are removed. When you disconnect everything, the chances of an electrical shock are nil. Garage doors operate on high voltages and some of their electrical connections are bare and visible. As such, it is important that doors are not connected to the supply.
Garage door repairs are best left for professionals. It has been outlined numerous times in our blogs that serious issues with garage doors should be referred to professionals. So, apart from minor maintenance, homeowners are advised to consult professional when it comes to garage door repair.