June is Garage Door Safety Month! Here is a list of 10 things that every homeowner should know about garage door safety. It is advised to review these with your family and customer. These common tips will help you prevent the garage door accidents from happening.
- The garage door is the heaviest and largest moving part of the home and is surely not a toy. It can even lead to serious injury or even death if misused.
- Make sure your children don’t play with the garage door and its operating system. Teach your children to not to stand, run or play under or near any garage door, particularly when it is opening or closing.
- Always keep the remote controls out of reach of children. Don’t let the children use the push button wall controls and make sure you mount it at least five feet off the floor.
- It is advised to not to stand or walk under a moving garage door. Trying to enter or exit the garage by racing can be extremely dangerous.
- When opening or closing the garage door, always wait till the door fully opened or closed. Make sure your children or pets never try to enter or exit while the door is closing.
- When the door is opening or closing, always keep fingers and hands away from door sections in order to avoid injury.
- Always keep your garage door well-maintained so that it operates safely. It is advised to schedule annual maintenance by a trained technician. There are normal maintenance and repair tasks that you can perform periodically.
- Remember, a garage door opener works on electricity, which can shock or kill if mishandled. Make certain to get it repaired or services by a professional.
- Garage door springs and cables work under a lot of pressure, so it is advised to call in a garage door specialist for replacement and service of cables and springs.
- If accidentally someone has backed into the garage door, contact a trained technician for door inspection and repair. Professionals are skilled to even catch the potential signs of damages.
Garage door safety checks and maintenance is utmost important to keep your door working reliably for years. Make sure you hire a trained garage door technician. At Promaster Garage Doors & Windows, we are a team of certified and professional technicians who are committed to providing quality garage door service to ensure your safety.