Summers are approaching. For garage door owners, it’s high time to start looking for methods that can keep them and their family safe this summer. It is inevitable fact that they are often the largest moving machine of your home. You must be planning a party or want to spend some quality time with your family in this big covered indoor space. For hassle-free enjoyment, you need to give utmost attention towards these door safety methods. Automatic opener plays pivotal role in effective and smooth operation of a door.
Thus, new garage door opener is crucial, especially if you find the door putting a lot of efforts for general operation. Visual inspection of door parts including cables, springs, brackets, tracks must be at the top of your weekly to-do list.
Garage door spring replacement becomes crucial when the door seems misbalanced while opening or closing. Springs bear a lot of tension while the door operation. They require periodic maintenance and replacement to work tirelessly.
Garage Door Safety Tips
- The door opener button must be out of the reach of small children. Mount the control button at least 5 feet above the floor.
- Never ever let your children treat the opener remote as a toy as it can be very dangerous.
- Teach your children about door safety and how the door actually functions. Children have sharp minds and they can easily understand the safety tips taught to them.
- Testing the reverse mechanism of the opener is crucial to avoid any mishap. Place a wood plank in the door’s path. If the door reverses back after sensing the foreign object in the path, the opener is in a workable condition. If it doesn’t, call our technicians immediately for opener replacement.
- Read the user manual and understand the use of opener’s emergency release feature.
- Visually inspect the door springs, cables, rollers and pulleys. By this you can catch the possible signs of wear and tear at the earlier stage.
- You must not forget that spring and cable repair is not at all a DIY chore. These parts require accurate tool and sufficient knowledge for adjustment. Improper handling can cause serious injury and further damage to parts.
- You must remove or disable door locks, ropes and other parts before you operate the opener. This will avoid damage to the opener and the door.
- Use the release mechanism of the opener and operate the door manually periodically. Use the handles to open and close the door. The door must lift itself smoothly without any effort and resistance. Keep it open 3 or 4 feet above the floor to check the condition. Alignment must be done by an expert technician.
The above mentioned safety tips will assure that you can enjoy chatting with neighbors and partying with friends in the garage hassle-free. Always keep your eyes and ears open to catch the malfunctioned door parts at the earlier stage. It is crucial to keep yourself, your family and guests safe.