While shopping for garage door openers, people tend to give much attention to aesthetics. Technical requirements and suitability to house structure are usually ignored. Just like any machine, garage door openers are complex machines having numerous parts. And when you are out shopping, you will be surprised by the number of options and alternatives you face. Let’s make things easier for you. Here are some guidelines to follow while making a decision.
Types of Garage Door Openers – Technical Features
- Chain-drive Garage Door Openers: This is the oldest technology and still marches on due to its sturdy built and good value. The working is pretty simple. A chain pulls/pushes the carriage (trolley) which further moves a metal rod, that in turn moves the garage door. They have a lot of moving parts and require consistent maintenance/repairs. Such garage door openers can be noisy during operation. As such, they are not the preferred technology if the bedroom is adjacent to the garage. Modern chain driven openers make use of silent motors and quiet start/stop technology. They are cheap to install and most of the households are fit to accommodate chain driven systems.
- Belt-drive Garage door openers: These are similar in construction to their chain-driven counterparts. However, instead of chain, these utilize a rubber belt. The operation is same as that of chain driven models. The prime moving part in these systems is the rubber belt. Make sure that you choose manufacturers that offer lifetime warranty. They are priced higher than belt driven garage door openers. Their price range varies according to the rubber belt material and its load bearing capacity. Nowadays, belts are manufactured form other materials also including steel-reinforced rubber, poly-urethane and sturdy fiberglass.
- Screw-drive Garage openers: These units have minimal moving parts and thus require less repair/maintenance. The operation is quite simple. A threaded rod is used to move the trolley using the rotating power from a motor. such systems are not suitable for regions with extremely varying degrees of temperatures.They are easy to install and if you are technically-gifted, you can install this system yourself. However, a garage door Ottawa professional is recommended for proper installation. Although expensive for garage door repairs, these are the quickest and most sensitive in garage opening.
Miscellaneous Factors to Consider while Buying
Garage door openers purchase can be daunting. There are other factors to be taken into consideration as well. Some of them include:
- Battery backup
- Power consumption
- Safety/Security lighting
- Keyless operation
- Wall mounted panels options
- Remote controlled operation
- Door size and material options
- Garage doors repair, warranty and parts replacement
Garage door installation must be chosen carefully. Only a professional can provide you comprehensive knowledge about this realm. Make sure you hire a professional garage doors Toronto company to guide you.