Buying a new garage door with a huge variety is a very daunting task. You may confused with different material of overhead door. Every material has its own pros and cons. When you buy a door matched with your house structure, nothing can add a more curb appeal than a beautifully designed an overhead door.
There are different types of garage door material available in the market such as steel, vinyl, fiberglass, aluminum and wood. If you are thinking about purchasing a wood garage door, nothing can better than a wood door to enhance the curb appeal of your house and add a traditional look.
Let’s have a look on some advantages and disadvantages of wood door to know if this is the best choice for you or not.
- Choice of material: A wooden door is made up of different types of timber. Different material is one of the most important things to consider when you are planning to buy a wood door. You can buy a door made with the same wood as your front door or window frames. The most popular material of wooden doors are cedar, fir, alder and redwood.
- Beautiful designs: These classic doors are available in plenty of beautiful designs and they are also authentic. Some popular designs are contemporary, carriage style and classic.
- Dent proof: If you have a steel or aluminum overhead door, you may get a dent on them. But wooden doors don’t have dent. If you are worrying about damaging your door, a timber door is a superior option due to its durability.
- High maintenance: These classic doors require a regular maintenance and repair. You must paint it every two or three years to keep it in a working condition and give a fresh look. Make sure you inspect a door on a regular basis for signs of rotting or other damages.
- Lack of insulation: If you want to install an insulated door, a wooden door may not be a good choice for you. Wooden garage doors are very heavy and solid, due to this reason they are not insulated and there is no way to add extra insulation.
- Expensive: These doors are more expensive than other materials. The price of the door is depending on the quality of material and construction. Except this, these doors are not durable in water. They get rot or damage very soon during a heavy rainy season.
Wooden doors are not different from other materials, but the main drawbacks are high cost and high maintenance. If you fail to give an attention on it, you may have to pay some extra bucks for a garage door repair professional. If your budget does not allows you, you can buy any other material. For any kind of information, you can make a call to Promaster Garage Doors and Windows.